Last week we discussed the challenges of dating after marriage. Upon coming home from work, it’s tempting to just plant in front of the television and watch someone else live their lives instead of adding one more thing to your own.
We discussed the importance of resting when necessary but not always choosing rest over connecting with your spouse. Even though spending time together at home is great, it also enhances your marriage to just get out together and do something fun.
When thinking about the investment of time and money, remember couples having fun together rarely divorce. Living in Arizona, we are fortunate because the weather is so good, there’s a lot of outdoor activities we can do.
I mentioned this week I would make specific suggestions to jump-start your own list. Jerry and I had breakfast out last weekend and started making suggestions to each other. It’s amazing how many things we came up with in a short time.
We ate in downtown Gilbert and then walked around the farmer’s market. It was a lot of fun and the weather was perfect for it. That’s one thing you can try yourself.
In addition, here’s a few other things:
1. Go hiking
2. Picnic in the park or by a lake
3. Take a bike ride to a nearby coffee shop or down the canal
4. Watching the sunset on the top of South Mountain or even on a parking deck. Downtown Gilbert has a nice one to do that.
5. Go star-gazing or birdwatching. Check out Riparian Preserve in Gilbert.
6. Go to yard sales, thrift stores or antique stores
7. Pick fruit at a local orchard
8. Tour the Queen Creek Olive Mill and have breakfast or lunch while there
9. Take a class together, like photography
10. Take dance lessons
11. Go to the gym together
12. Run in an event for charity or even a marathon
13. Take a boat ride (check out Tempe Town Lake for boat rentals)
14. Take a cruise at Canyon Lake or Saguaro Lake. They may even have dinner cruises scheduled.
15. Go to a comedy improv night
16. Visit a museum (Art, Musical Instrument Museum, etc.)
17. Visit a water park for those hot summer days
18. Go tubing on the Salt River
19. Rent a movie at Redbox, take your computer and find a special spot to have your own drive-in movie
20. Look at model homes or open houses
21. Volunteer together
22. Recreate your first date
23. Take a mini road trip to explore what’s close by
24. Drive up north and play in the snow
25. Lunch break date during the week, even if your time is short
26. Meet after work for appetizers or just coffee/tea before going to a busy household
27. Go to a play. Arizona has many productions. We have discovered www.goldstar.com has great discounts. Sign up for their newsletter to see the best deals weekly.
28. Visit the Desert Botanical Garden
29. Go to Castles N’ Coasters or another amusement park
30. Tour Goldfield, a little ghost town near Apache Junction
31. Visit the Zoo
32. Go horseback riding
33. Take a jeep tour
34. Tour the Tovrea Castle
35. Attend sporting events.
36. Take a hot air balloon ride
37. Take a train ride
38. Ride the light rail and get off at interesting places, have lunch along the way
39. Rent four-wheelers
40. Go fishing
41. Play golf, mini-golf or go to the driving range
42. Practice your swings at batting cages
43. Ride go-carts
44. Visit an arcade and play video games
45. Go bowling
46. Tour the chocolate factory in Glendale and buy some treats. It will be open during the Glendale Chocolate Affaire, a festival in historic Glendale, February 5-7, 2016.
47. Go to the Renaissance Festival (February 6-March 27, 2016), near Apache Junction
48. Check online for additional events in the area
49. Go roller or ice skating
50. Go water or snow skiing
51. Grab ice cream, a smoothie or coffee and go to the park
52. Go shopping
53. Go to the farmer’s market or flea market
54. The old standby, dinner and a movie
55. Attend a concert
56. Go to the ballet or opera
57. Rent a hotel room, stay overnight. Order room service, enjoy the pool and spa.
58. Attend the Chandler Art Walk
59. Attend First Friday in Phoenix
60. Find a classic car show
This list contains items for the budget conscious and those who just want to splurge. Later, we will also make some at-home date ideas for those times you just prefer to do something more low-key.
I would suggest, taking turns planning a date night. Keep it a mystery. The element of surprise will make it even better. After trying some of these ideas, post your experiences in the comment section.